- 1 Is there anything on Santa Cruz Island?
- 2 What are two things you can do on Santa Cruz Island?
- 3 How do you get around Santa Cruz Island?
- 4 How long is the boat ride to Santa Cruz Island?
- 5 Are there bathrooms on Santa Cruz Island?
- 6 Can you swim at Santa Cruz Island?
- 7 Is there cell service on Santa Cruz Island?
- 8 Is there food on Santa Cruz Island?
- 9 Which Channel Island is the best to visit?
- 10 How long is the trip to Santa Cruz Island?
- 11 Is there fresh water on Santa Cruz Island?
- 12 How much is the ferry to the Channel Islands?
Is there anything on Santa Cruz Island?
The island’s coastline has steep cliffs, large sea caves, coves, and sandy beaches. The highest point is Devils Peak, at over 2,450 feet (747 m). Santa Cruz Island is home to some endemic species of animals and plants, including the Santa Cruz Island fox (Urocyon littoralis santacruzae), a subspecies of the island fox.
What are two things you can do on Santa Cruz Island?
The Top 10 Things to See and Do on Santa Cruz Island
- Chill at Tortuga Bay.
- Check out the Darwin Research Centre.
- See Giant Tortoises at El Chato Reserve.
- Enjoy Local Seafood at Los Kioskos.
- Go for a Swim at Garrapatero.
- Take a Trip to Las Grietas.
- Soak up the Sun at Las Bachas.
- Walk Through Lava Tunnels.
How do you get around Santa Cruz Island?
- Island Packers boat charter. (805) 642-1393 on the web at Island Packers.com. Regularly scheduled trips out of Ventura Harbor Times vary so be sure to confirm with the charter service when making your reservations.
- Channel Islands Aviation plane charter. (805) 987-1301 on the web at FLYCIA.com.
How long is the boat ride to Santa Cruz Island?
The boat ride to the island is a quick and beautiful 1-hour cruise across turquoise sea—so you can get there and back and have plenty of time on the island all in one day. Trails take you to windy bluffs, wide vistas and secret coves.
Are there bathrooms on Santa Cruz Island?
If weather permits, many visitors enjoy picnicking on the islands’ beaches. Visitors must bring their own food and water (potable water is available at the Scorpion Canyon Campground on Santa Cruz Island and the Water Canyon Campground on Santa Rosa Island). Public pit toilets are available on all islands.
Can you swim at Santa Cruz Island?
The kelp forests at Santa Cruz are absolutely breathtaking for the adventurous swimmer and snorkeler to explore. Given the isolation of the Channel Islands (20+ miles off the coast of California), we encourage all snorkelers to have prior snorkeling experience and be comfortable swimming in the ocean.
Is there cell service on Santa Cruz Island?
There is very little cell phone reception on most of the islands. Santa Cruz Island sometimes has cell reception, however it is spotty and unreliable.
Is there food on Santa Cruz Island?
There are NO services or lodging on the islands. Visitors must bring all their own food and water (potable water is available in the Scorpion Canyon campground on Santa Cruz Island and the Water Canyon campground on Santa Rosa Island). A limited amount of food and drink is available on the concessionaire boats.
Which Channel Island is the best to visit?
The best Channel Island to visit depends on how long you have & what you want to do/see. If you only have 1 day available then I’d recommend visiting Santa Cruz Island or Anacapa Island.
How long is the trip to Santa Cruz Island?
If you do your day trip to the Channel Islands with Island Packers, you will have about 6-7 hours on Santa Cruz Island. Island Packers recommends getting to the harbor 45 minutes before the departure time. We got there about 30 minutes before and still had plenty of time to check in and wait before boarding the boat.
Is there fresh water on Santa Cruz Island?
Unlike Anacapa Island, Santa Cruz does have fresh water, possessing a number of permanent springs and some permanent streams as well. If offers a number of recreational opportunities, some of which are available at Scorpion Anchorage (below), where many island visitors arrive.
How much is the ferry to the Channel Islands?
Visitors who choose to access the islands by boat will be charged between $50 and 75 round trip per person.