- 1 What should I pack for Santa Cruz?
- 2 What do you wear to the Channel Islands?
- 3 Can you bring your car to Channel Islands?
- 4 How do you get around Santa Cruz Channel Islands?
- 5 What should I wear to Santa Cruz Boardwalk?
- 6 Are the Channel Islands worth it?
- 7 How long is the boat ride to Santa Cruz Island?
- 8 Can you sleep at Channel Islands?
- 9 Which Channel Island is the best to visit?
- 10 How much does it cost to go to the Channel Islands?
- 11 How long is the boat ride to Anacapa Island?
- 12 What animals live in Channel Islands?
- 13 Can you swim at Santa Cruz Island?
- 14 Are there bathrooms on Santa Cruz Island?
What should I pack for Santa Cruz?
How to Dress Like a Local
- The Puffy Jacket. The puffy jacket is a year-long staple in Santa Cruz.
- Flip Flops & Sunglasses. Much like the puffy, flip flops are a four-season statement.
- The Brewery Sweatshirt.
- The Cozy Sweater & Scarf Combo.
- The Flannel.
What do you wear to the Channel Islands?
For your 60 minute boat ride from Ventura Harbor to the Channel Islands you’ll want to wear layers. We wore our swimsuits under our clothes so that we were ready to kayak upon arrival. Leave your cotton t-shirts and jeans behind as synthetic layers work best. Bring or wear a windbreaker for the boat ride.
Can you bring your car to Channel Islands?
While the mainland visitor centers in Ventura and Santa Barbara are readily accessible by car or public transportation, the islands are only accessible by park concessionaire boats (Island Packers) or private boat. Advanced planning is highly recommended. There is no transportation available on the islands.
How do you get around Santa Cruz Channel Islands?
Boat Transportation Island Packers offers trips year round. Travel time is one hour. Trips are either to Scorpion Anchorage or Prisoners Harbor. Landing is via a pier at both locations.
What should I wear to Santa Cruz Boardwalk?
What to Bring to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
- Drinks – Waters, juice boxes, sodas, etc. (
- Beach chairs – I prefer the low-to-the-ground beach chairs because I like my legs to be in the sand.
- Beach blankets.
- Beach umbrella.
- Beach hats, sunglasses, and swimsuits.
Are the Channel Islands worth it?
The Channel Islands are relaxing, beautiful and almost Caribbean if you get the right weather. It’s not just about Jersey and Guernsey either – the lesser-known, smaller islands are also worth your time. Here’s our guide to exploring them.
How long is the boat ride to Santa Cruz Island?
The boat ride to the island is a quick and beautiful 1-hour cruise across turquoise sea—so you can get there and back and have plenty of time on the island all in one day. Trails take you to windy bluffs, wide vistas and secret coves.
Can you sleep at Channel Islands?
There are NO services or lodging on the islands. Visitors must bring all their own food and water (potable water is available in the Scorpion Canyon campground on Santa Cruz Island and the Water Canyon campground on Santa Rosa Island).
Which Channel Island is the best to visit?
The best Channel Island to visit depends on how long you have & what you want to do/see. If you only have 1 day available then I’d recommend visiting Santa Cruz Island or Anacapa Island.
How much does it cost to go to the Channel Islands?
General admission to the park is free. Those wishing to camp on one of the islands will be charged a fee of $15 per campsite per night. The money is used to help preserve the park. Reservations must be made ahead of time, and can be arranged via the National Recreation Reservation Service website.
How long is the boat ride to Anacapa Island?
Anacapa Island Closest to the mainland of all the Channel Islands, tiny Anacapa is only 12 miles out to sea, and therefore the most visited: the boat ride over takes about an hour, and you can explore the entire island in just a half a day.
What animals live in Channel Islands?
There are only three native land mammals on the archipelago: The island deer mouse, the island spotted skunk, and the island fox.
- Deer mouse.
- Spotted skunk.
- Island fox.
Can you swim at Santa Cruz Island?
The kelp forests at Santa Cruz are absolutely breathtaking for the adventurous swimmer and snorkeler to explore. Given the isolation of the Channel Islands (20+ miles off the coast of California), we encourage all snorkelers to have prior snorkeling experience and be comfortable swimming in the ocean.
Are there bathrooms on Santa Cruz Island?
If weather permits, many visitors enjoy picnicking on the islands’ beaches. Visitors must bring their own food and water (potable water is available at the Scorpion Canyon Campground on Santa Cruz Island and the Water Canyon Campground on Santa Rosa Island). Public pit toilets are available on all islands.